Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Bell Pepper Rice
1 cup long grain (basmati) rice
ghee or oil
whole garam masala
1 cinnamon stick
3 green cardamoms
4 crushed black peppercorns
1. Wash rice and drain. Set aside for 1/2 an hour.
2. Chop bell peppers (Green,Red,Yellow,Orange)into vertical pieces.
3. Heat ghee or oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add all the whole garam masala ingredients and let them pop.Meanwhile boil 2 cups water in a separate pan.
4. Next add rice to the pan and fry for 2 minutes. Saute chopped bell peppers with the rice.
5. Pour boiling water over the rice. Add salt, crushed pepper and mix.
6. When half of the water is soaked in the rice, cover and cook further over low heat till rice is tender.
7. Add 1 tsp ghee and mix gently taking care not to break the grains.