My all time favorite place is , Dhiraj stall opp the Mithibai and NM College.Here you will find the best vada-pav on Mumbai’s streets. Not exaggerating. Simply dig into these heavily buttered snacks whenever you get a chance.:-)
For non mumbaikars couple of days after they enter mumbai zone, the snacks that they hear more often than anything else is VADA PAV!! avaialble from price range from Rs.3/ to Rs.5/Piece and value for money, even one pcs is very filling. The railway stations of mumbai alone consumes helluva vadapavs per day! So what is this vada pav??
Vadapav consists of vada (potato fritters) sliced between pav (a kind of bun) with dry red garlic chuttney smeared b/w the pav's. It has an amazing mouth watering look!!
Last time when I visited India, I came across a new Jumbo King stall ,a chain of restaurants that sells very tastey vadapavs. Give it a try..
So here we go on making Mumbaizzzz Burger...
This is my mummy's receipe, made by her when i was visiting her in NJ. Love you mamma...
Serving size - 4
6-8 medium sizedboiled potatoes
2 cups gram flour (besan)
oil for frying
1 pinch baking Soda
1 small piece ginger
4-5 flakes garlic4-5 (or more)
1/2 cup coriander leaves (chopped)
1 tea spoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon mustard seeds(optional)
2 teaspoon oil
1. Grind ginger, garlic and green chilies together into a paste.
2. Peel and smash potatoes with a fork (or simply use hands). Do not smash completely. Let some small chunks remain.
3. Add ginger, garlic and green chili paste, coriander leaves, and salt to the potatoes.
4. Then take 2 teaspoons oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds. When they splutter, add turmeric powder and curry leaves.Pour this tempering on the mashed potatoes and mix gently.
5. Make small balls of mashed potato mixture.Flatten the balls slightly.
6. Add some salt, turmeric powder(optional) to the gram flour. Add water gradually and keep mixing with a spoon. Remove lumps if any. The batter should not be too watery or too thick.
7. Heat some oil in a pan. To check if oil is properly heated, drop some batter in the oil. If the batter immediately turns soild and float on the surface of the oil, the oil is ready.
8. Now dip each ball in the batter, letting the excess batter drip off and slowly add to the hot oil. Do not overcrowd the pan, else the temperature of the oil reduces which in turn slows down the frying process. Like this, deep fry all the vadas until golden. Remove on a paper towel and drain. Batata Vadas are ready.
9. For Vada Pav, split Pav keeping the base intact & spread amul butter,garlic chutney or green chutney on the inner surfaces of it. Place the vada in it. Serve hot.
1. Instead of adding whole curry leaves,grind them along with the ginger- garlic paste to bring out their flavor.
2. Remove the seeds from the green chillies completely for a better taste.